Welcome to the Great Boughton Parish Council website.
Great Boughton (pronounced Baw-tun) was a township in St. Oswald’s ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4266), which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Boughton Heath, Butterbache (part), Piper’s Ash (part), Tarvin Bridge and Vicars Cross (part only until 2015). The population was 544 in 1801, 1164 in 1851, 1034 in 1901, 3164 in 1951, and 8682 in 2001.
It is ironic that issues raised over a century ago are still causes for concern today – speed of traffic, lack of facilities for young children; and the hazards of the canal.
Today, the parish council is made up of 15 local volunteers who give up their time and energy to make the areas of Boughton Heath, Vicars Cross and part of Caldy Valley, a pleasanter place to live. The council owns and manages Vicars Cross Community Centre,
Queens Road Field, Pearl Lane Allotments, Thackeray Drive Field and play area, Vaughans Lane play area and Old Laundry Corner on Heath Lane. It also has a part in managing the Caldy Valley Neighbourhood Centre, having been a major funding partner when it was built in the early 1980’s.
The council meet once a month for a full parish council meeting and have 5 sub groups which are also held monthly. The dates of the meetings are here Meeting dates 2020 – 21 and everyone is welcome to attend. Do ring the Clerk first just in case the venue has changed or the meeting has been cancelled.
Our latest parish newsletter is here Newsletter SPRING 20v2.doc
You can also find it in the centre pages of the Vicars Cross Voice or the Huntington/Boughton Handbooks and on our notice boards and facebook page.